I made Cabbage Carrot thoran for Onam 2009. Any Kerala Sadhya is incomplete without Thoran. You can prepare thoran using any veggie like cabbage, carrot, beetroot, beans, ivy gourd or a combination of vegetables.
There are many different ways to prepare a thoran. Some use onions while others use shallots. Some add garlic and ginger, while others like it plain. Some add coconut scrapes directly while others grind coconut to a coarse paste.
Here is my recipe for Cabbage Carrot Thoran.
- Shredded Cabbage – Half of one medium sized cabbage
- Grated Carrots – 3 big ones
- Sliced Shallots (Kunjulli/Pearl Onions) – 1/2 cup
- Grated Coconut – 1 Cup
- Crushed Garlic – 4 or 5 cloves
- Grated Cumin (Jeera) – 1/4 tsp
- Slit Green/Red Chillies – 4
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – As Required
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Mix together coconut, turmeric powder, cumin, garlic and green chillies using hands or you can coarsely grind everything together.
- Combine the cabbage and carrots with some salt.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non stick pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add shallots and curry leaves and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the shredded cabbage and carrot. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Next add the coconut mixture and combine everything together.
- Cover the pan and cook on low flame, stirring occasionally. Do not add water while cooking.
- After 8-10 mins, the veggies will be cooked. Remove the lid and stir fry for another 4-5 minutes so that the water evaporates completely and the thoran is dry.