I was going through all recipes I had posted so far and was surprised to find that I had conveniently forgotten about the famous Kerala Egg Curry and Kerala Egg Roast which I make at least once in a week. Mutta Curry or Egg Curry is such a simple and common dish. It is part of almost every traditional Kerala Breakfast. There are 2 different types of curries I make using Egg :-
- Kerala Egg Curry with Coconut Milk – Tomatoes are not used in this curry, instead potatoes are often added. It has an authentic Kerala touch since Coconut Milk is used.
- Kerala Egg Roast – Coconut milk is not used but tomatoes are added to make a nice tangy gravy.
Here is the recipe for my Egg Roast. I usually make this Mutta Roast with a little gravy so that we can have it with Puttu, Appam or Idiyappam. You can also make it as a dry dish with almost no gravy.
- Whole eggs – 4
- Thinly Sliced Onions – 2 medium
- Chopped Tomatoes – 2 medium
- Slit Green Chillies – 3
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chicken/Egg/Meat Masala Powder – 1 tbsp (You can instead use 1 tsp of Garam Masala Powder)
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Water – as needed
- Salt – to taste
- Boil the eggs thoroughly until hard boiled. Peel the shell, slit each egg into 2 and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and saute onions until translucent.
- Add green chillies and curry leaves and continue sauteing.
- When the onions begin to brown, throw in the diced tomatoes and stir fry.
- Allow the tomatoes to cook until pulpy and mashed.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute so that the raw smell goes off.
- Add turmeric, red chilly, coriander, meat masala powders, salt and saute for a few minutes so that the spice masala is nicely roasted.
- Add 1 or 2 cups of water to the masala along with salt. Bring the gravy to a slow boil and then simmer it until desired consistency is attained.
- Add the egg halves and cover it with the masala. Continue to simmer for 5 more minutes and remove from heat.
- You can add more water if you want your egg roast to have a nice gravy.
you didnt mention the amount of salt..
Thanks for reminding..
i am going to try this now, b back after that, pls share more.
Tina Thottam says
I tried this recipe for Easter and its exactly how my mother in law makes it but never shared it with me , thanks its awesome , my husband loved it .
Can you please describe in detail how kerala egg curry with coconut milk is prepared.
people who does not know anything about cooking made this Egg Roast,