Moong Dal (lentil) is known as Cheru Payaru Parippu in Malayalam. It is split and dehusked Green Gram (Cheru Payaru). Haldiram’s savory Moong Dal fry is something which most of us love. I was trying to make a snack similar to Haldiram’s Moong Dal fry. Though I couldn’t make it exactly like Haldiram’s, this snack was really tasty. Here is a recipe for Roasted and lightly salted Moong Dal. This recipe uses minimal ingredients and is really simple to make.
- Moong Dal – 1 Cup
- Salt – to taste
- Cooking Spray
- Water – as needed
- Soak the moong dal in water for atleast 3-4 hours so that it becomes soft.
- Drain the water completely and transfer the dal to a paper towel.
- Heat a non stick pan and spray cooking oil.
- Add the soaked moong dal to the pan and sprinkle salt.
- Roast it on medium heat stirring occasionally till the water has evaporated from the dal and it starts becoming crispy.
- Once it becomes crisp, remove it from heat. If you continue roasting, the dal will turn hard as further water will be lost.