Here is the recipe for making a simple Healthy Vegetable Pasta. When it comes to Vegetables, it is best to include servings from Red, Green & Yellow Veggies in your daily diet. Rather than sticking on to a particular Fruit or Vegetable, try to make every meal colorful. In this way, you can ensure that you are getting the required nutrients in your daily diet. Here are a few fruits & vegetables from each group.
- Yellow – Carrot, Pumpkin, Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Sweet Corn, Mangoes, Apricot, Peach, Pumpkin
- Green – Spinach, Lettuce, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Brussel Sprouts, Zucchini, Peas
- Red – Tomato, Citrus Fruits, Melons, Berries, Chili Peppers, Apples, Pomegarante
You can use Whole Wheat Pasta for a healthy meal.
- Any Pasta of Your Choice – 1 packet, 16 oz/1 lb approx (I used Tri Color Bow Ties)
- Olive Oil – 1/2 tsp + 1 tbsp
- Diced Onions – 1 medium
- Diced Mixed Vegetables – As needed (I used 2 Carrots, 6 to 7 Sugar Snap Peas and 1 Bell Pepper)
- Sun Dried Tomatoes in Oil – 4 medium pieces
- Garlic Cloves – 2 or 3 small
- Red Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp
- McCormick Italian herb seasoning – 1 tsp (The ingredients are Marjoram, Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, Oregano, Basil)
- Black Pepper powder – 1 tsp (Alter according to your Spice Tolerance)
- Salt- to taste
- Water – as needed
- Cook the pasta in boiling water according to the instructions on the packet. Add salt and 1/2 tsp olive oil while cooking pasta. Drain water from the spaghetti and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, use a food processor and make a paste of the sun dried tomatoes and garlic.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet and saute onions until soft.
- Add the diced vegetables and saute for a few minutes. Cover and cook on medium low heat until soft but crispy.
- Reduce heat and add Italian seasoning, pepper powder and chilly powder. Saute for a minute.
- Add the tomato-garlic paste and saute thoroughly for a few minutes so that the raw taste of garlic goes away.
- Add 1/2 cup of water to the pan and bring it to a slow boil to make a little sauce.
- Finally, add the cooked pasta into the pan and toss everything gently so that the pasta is covered in the sauce.