Vegetable Fried Rice can be made using any number of vegetables. You can use carrots, beans, broccoli, mushroom, spring onion, green peas and the list goes on. Here is the recipe for making a low fat vegetable fried rice using less oil. This recipe serves 2 people.
- Long grain Basmati rice or any other Long Grain Rice – 1 cup
- Diced Onions – 1 medium
- Diced Spring Onions – 1 Bunch
- Diced Carrots – 1 big
- Thinly Sliced Cabbage leaves – 1/2 cup
- French Beans, finely chopped – 6 to 7
- Broccoli Florets – 1 cup
- Green Peas – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Aji-no-moto/MSG (optional) – 1/2 tsp
- Soy sauce – 2 tbsp
- Red Chilli/Chilly Garlic sauce – 2 tsp
- Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Boil the Basmati rice with a little salt and 1 tsp oil, till each grain is separate and almost cooked. Be careful not to overcook the rice. Drain excess water and allow it to cool completely. You can also refrigerate the rice to prevent it from breaking.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add all the vegetables (except spring onions) and stir fry for around 5-7 minutes until softened.
- Add the spring onions, salt, sugar, ajinomoto and sauces and saute for a few minutes and keep aside. Add more chilly sauce if you like the Fried Rice to be spicy.
- Heat another wok or Frying Pan and add 1 tbsp of oil.
- Add the cooked rice and stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Stir in the cooked vegetables and sauces and combine the rice and vegetables gently, till the rice is evenly coated with all the sauces. You can sprinkle 1/2 tsp pepper powder at the end.
- Serve this Fried Rice with any side dish of your choice.
- If you want to reduce the amount of oil, you can skip steps 5 and 6. Instead add the boiled rice, directly to the cooked vegetables and mix gently.
- Feel fry to add any vegetables of your choice like Mushrooms, Baby Corns and so on.