Here is a recipe for making a Spicy and Tangy Mushroom Curry using Tomato Sauce. I usually make Mushrooms in Grated Coconut Paste but this recipe is different and goes well with Rotis.
- Mushrooms (Any variety) – 1/2 lb
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Diced Onions – 1 medium
- Slit Red/Green Chillies – 3
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Finely chopped Ginger – 1 tbsp
- Finely chopped Garlic – 1 tbsp
- Home Made Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Chicken/Meat Masala Powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Tomato Paste – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Water – as needed
- Clean the mushrooms well and cut into small pieces. I peel off the skin from the mushroom and then wash it well. Some people prefer to keep the skin.
- Marinate the mushrooms with 1/4 tsp turmeric and some salt. Keep it aside for around 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan and saute onions, chillies and curry leaves till the onions become translucent.
- Saute ginger and garlic for a few minutes.
- Reduce heat and add 1 tsp chilly powder, 1 tbsp coriander powder, 1 tbsp meat or chicken masala powder and 1 tsp garam masala powder and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste to the pan along with salt and 1/2 cup water. Bring it to a slow boil.
- Wash the mushrooms and drain the water. Add the mushrooms to the above pan and mix everything well.
- Cover and cook on low flame for 15-20 minutes till the mushrooms are cooked in the gravy.
- Serve this spicy Mushroom Curry with Rotis.