Theeyal is a traditional Kerala Dish which is made using Vegetables and Fried Coconut. It can be made using a single vegetable like Bitter Gourd, Snake Gourd, Shallots etc. or a combination of vegetables like Potato, Carrot and Beans. The fried coconut and spices impart a nice aroma to the dish.
Here is the recipe for making Pavakka/ Kaipakka Theeyal.
- Bitter gourd (Pavakka or Karela) cut into thin slices – 2 medium sized
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Slit green chilies – 2
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
- Chilly powder -2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Dry red chilies – 4 No.s
- Thinly sliced Shallots- 1/4 cup
- Curry leaves – A sprig
- Tamarind paste – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Water – As required
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- To reduce the bitterness of Pavakka, rub some salt on the sliced bitter gourd pieces and squeeze out the juice using hands and wash it well.
- Heat a pan and add 2 tbsp oil. Add the bitter gourd pieces, slit green chilies along with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and saute.
- Cover and cook till it is done. Do not add water, instead cook the bitter gourd pieces on low flame.
- In a non stick pan, dry roast the grated coconut till brown. Once the coconut scrapes are brown, add red chilly powder, coriander powder, fenugreek seeds and dry roast and keep aside.
- Grind all the fried ingredients with a little water to form a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a wok and splutter mustard seeds.
- Saute shallots, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the cooked bitter gourd pieces and stir.
- Mix the ground coconut paste, tamarind paste, little salt and add 1 cup of water to the pan and stir well to combine.
- Cook for around 7-8 minutes on medium flame till the gravy thickens. Taste and add more tamarind paste if needed.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.