I am not fond of Mushrooms. The only Mushroom dishes I like are Kerala Style Mushroom Thoran and Kerala Mushroom Curry Simmered in Coconut Paste. Mushroom Thoran is easy to make just like any other thoran. It tastes great with rice. You can use any variety of mushroom for this recipe.
Though I have often read that mushrooms should not be soaked in water, I am uncomfortable with the thought of just wiping the mushrooms with a towel. After all, how clean can it get by simply wiping the mushrooms. Earlier, I used to peel the outer skin of mushrooms. These days, I keep the skin and it tastes the same. I wash the mushrooms and then gently, squeeze out as much water as possible and then drain it on to paper towels.
Mushrooms greatly reduce in quantity after cooking. So always keep that in mind. Do try out this great recipe for Mushroom Thoran.
- Mushrooms (any variety) – 1 lb/16 oz (Button or Sliced)
- Diced Onions – 1 medium
- Slit Green Chillies/Crushed Dry Red Chillies – 4
- Sliced Shallots (Kunjulli/Pearl Onions) – 6 small (optional)
- Crushed Garlic – 4 small cloves
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 to 1 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Grated Coconut – 1 Cup
- Grated Cumin (Jeera) – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Clean the mushrooms well by washing it in water. Gently, squeeze out as much water as possible from the mushrooms and drain it onto paper towels. Then dice it into small pieces.
- Marinate the mushrooms with 1/2 tsp turmeric and some salt. Keep it aside for around 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together coconut, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp cumin and salt with your hands or you can coarsely grind everything together. Keep the coconut mixture aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non stick pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Saute onions, green chillies and curry leaves till the onions become translucent.
- Add the sliced shallots and crushed garlic cloves and saute for a few more minutes.
- Reduce heat and add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chilly powder, 1/2 tsp pepper powder and 1/2 to 1 tsp garam masala powder. Saute for a minute or two.
- Add the marinated mushroom pieces and saute on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Cover the pan and cook the mushrooms on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Do not add water while cooking.
- After 8-10 minutes, the mushrooms would have let out water. Remove the lid and stir fry for another 5-8 minutes so that the water evaporates and the mushrooms are cooked. Add extra salt only if required.
- Next add the coconut mixture and combine everything together. Stir fry for a few more minutes until the thoran is almost dry and remove from stove top.
- Serve this tasty Mushroom Thoran with Rice.