I have begun to appreciate mushrooms for their negligible fat content, cholesterol and carbohydrates. For people who tend to eat poultry or meat on a daily basis, I suggest trying mushrooms as they are far better in terms of health. I have been trying different recipes with Mushroom as it requires very little cooking time. Here is a recipe for a tasty Stir Fry with Mushrooms and Eggs. You can try this as an alternative to Mushroom Thoran (Stir Fry with Coconut).
If you are looking for a Low Calorie, Low Fat, Low Cholesterol and Low Carb dish, then you can’t get wrong with mushrooms. Mushroom Egg Stir Fry is so tasty and you will fall in love with it at the first sight. My husband even mistook it for Beef Fry before taking the first bite.
- Mushrooms (any variety) – 1 lb/16 oz
- Egg – 1
- Diced Onions – 1 medium
- Diced Tomatoes – 1 medium
- Slit Green Chillies – 2 to 4 (Alter, according to your spice tolerance)
- Dry Red Chillies – 4
- Minced Garlic – 4 small cloves
- Minced Garlic – 1 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 to 1 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp (Alter, according to your spice tolerance)
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin (Jeera) Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp (optional)
- Clean the mushrooms well by washing it in water. Gently, squeeze out as much water as possible from the mushrooms and drain it onto paper towels. Trim the stem if required and quarter the mushrooms and keep it aside. Don’t slice it into very small pieces.
- Beat and egg with salt keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non stick pan and saute onions, red chillies, green chillies and curry leaves till the onions become translucent.
- Add minced garlic and ginger and saute for a few more minutes.
- Throw in the diced tomatoes and allow it to cook until soft and pulpy.
- Reduce heat and add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp red chilly powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp pepper powder and 1/2 to 1 tsp garam masala powder. Saute for a minute or two.
- Add the marinated mushroom pieces along with salt to taste and saute on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Cover the pan and cook the mushrooms on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Do not add water while cooking.
- After 8-10 minutes, the mushrooms would have let out water. Remove the lid and stir fry for another 3-5 minutes so that the water evaporates.
- Push the mushrooms to the sides of the pan and add the beaten egg. Start scrambling the egg when it begins to set.
- Mix everything well and stir fry thoroughly for a few minutes before removing from stove top.
- You can sprinkle little lemon juice for a nice taste. (optional)
- Serve this tasty Mushroom Egg Stir Fry with Rice.