Buttermilk (Moru) is an integral part of daily Kerala Cuisine. Whether it’s Sambharam, Pacha Moru, Kachiya Moru or Moru Curry – it is definitely favorite of many Keralites. Buttermilk Curry can be prepared in 2 ways:-
- The first one is Moru Curry with Grated Coconut.
- The second one is the simple and humble Moru Kachiyathu or Kachiya Moru.
I prepare Moru Kachiyathu (Seasoned Butter Millk) whenever I am in a hurry. It is very easy and can be prepared in less than 10 minutes. This spicy Buttermilk has a wonderful flavor imparted by ginger, fenugreek, curry leaves and other spices. Here is my recipe for Spicy ButterMilk Curry.
Ingredients for Blending
- Yogurt – 2 cups
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Blend all the above ingredients and keep it aside.
- Finely sliced Shallots – 5 or 6
- Slit Green Chillies – 3
- Red Chillies – 3
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Finely Sliced Ginger – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – A pinch
- Fenugreek (Uluva) – A pinch
- Jeera (Cumin) Seeds or Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard – 1/2 tsp
- Heat oil in a deep pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Saute shallots, green chillies, red chillies, ginger and curry leaves for 2 minutes.
- Add a pinch of turmeric, jeerakam and fenugreek. Stir for a minute and keep the seasoning aside.
- Reduce heat and add the blended curd mixture to the same pan, stirring continuously.
- Keep on stirring till it becomes warm. Never allow it to boil. Add more salt if required.
- Pour the prepared seasoning over the buttermilk and remove from flame.
- Stir for a few more minutes allowing it to cool.
- Serve with rice and other Kerala Side dishes.