Here is my recipe for Okra and Potato Stir Fry (Vendakka Uralakizhangu Mezhkkupuratti). This combination of vendakka and potato was introduced to be by my mom and it tastes good.
- Okra/Ladies Finger (Vendakka) – 1/2 lb
- Potato (sliced into 1 inch long pieces ) – 1 medium
- Sliced Onion – 1 big
- Sliced Green Chillies – 2
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Wash the okra and dry them with a towel. Slit the okra into 4 and cut into 1″ long pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add onions and saute till translucent.
- Add curry leaves and green chillies and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped ladies finger along with salt and combine everything.
- Stir fry for 5 minutes so that the okra starts losing its stickiness.
- Next, add the diced potatoes and mix everything.
- Add 1/4 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp chilly powder and saute for a minute.
- Cook for around 10-12 minutes on low flame till done. It’s best not to cover the ladies finger while cooking since it can become soggy.
- Serve the mezhkkupuratti with rice.