Shallots or Pearl Onions (Kunjulli) have a wonderful sweet flavor. Kunjulli Sambar, Kunjulli Theeyal are all famous in Kerala. Here is the recipe for an absolutely simple and easy Gravy for Lunch made using Shallots, Tomatoes and Coconut Milk.
- Sliced Shallots or Pearl Onions (Kunjulli) – 8 to 10
- Roughly Chopped Tomatoes – 2 medium ripe juicy ones
- Curry Leaves – A few
- Slit Green Chillies – 2
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Thin Coconut Milk – 2 Cups
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok or kadai and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add the diced shallots and saute till translucent.
- Add tomatoes, green chillies and curry leaves and cook for a few mintues until the tomatoes are soft and cooked.
- Mash the tomatoes well and stir in 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chilly powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala powder and some salt.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and bring it to a boil on medium flame.
- Reduce heat and add the thin coconut milk, stirring continuosly.
- Remove from stove after 2 minutes and serve with Rice.