I had started experimenting on Cauliflower when my Vegetarian Friends were called home for dinner. I had read many recipes for Gobi Manchurian, Chilly Gobi and so on.. Finally, I decided to give it a try myself. Luckily, the dish was a success and soon my friends started asking me for the recipe. Here is how I made the spicy cauliflower dish. I still don’t know if it’s a gobi manchurian or simply chilly cauliflower
- Cauliflower Florets -Separated from 1 big cauliflower
- Capsicum (diced into small cubes) – 1 medium
- Spring Onions (chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Sliced Onion – 1 medium
- Chopped Green Chillies – 3
- Ginger (cut into small pieces) – 1 tbsp
- Garlic (chopped into small pieces) – 1 tbsp
- Red Chilly Powder -1 tsp
- Tomato Sauce – 3 tbsp
- Hot and Sweet Sauce – 2 tbsp
- Soya Sauce -1 tbsp
- Salt – As required
- Oil – As required
For Marinating the Florets
- Cornflour – 3 tbsp
- Maida/All Purpose Flour – 4 tbsp
- Rice Flour – 1 tbsp (Optional)
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Soya Sauce – 1 tbsp
- Tomato Ketchup – 3 tbsp
- Hot & Sweet Tomato Sauce – 1 tbsp
- Ginger Paste – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic Paste -1/2 tsp
- Green Chilly Paste – 1 tsp
- Salt – As required
- Water – Optional
- Make a marinade of the above ingredients. It should be in the form of a thick paste so that the cauliflower florets get coated well. Mix the cauliflower florets and marinate it for half an hour. You can place it in the fridge.
- Heat oil in a skillet and deep fry the marinated cauliflower pieces. You can do this in different steps, so that you don’t over crowd the skillet. Keep it aside and allow it to cool.
- Heat oil in another pan and saute the onions, green chillies, ginger and garlic till the onions become translucent.
- Next add capsicum pieces and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the spring onions and saute for a while.
- Stir in 1 tsp chilly powder, 3 tbsp tomato sauce, 2 tbsp hot and sweet red chilly sauce, 1 tbsp Soya sauce and salt.
- Add the fried cauliflower florets and mix well so that the gravy is coated well. Keep it covered on low flame for another 3 minutes.
- Remove from flame and serve it along with steaming Fried Rice.