There are different varieties of Chickpeas or Garbanzo beans. The common ones being White Chickpeas and Black Chickpeas. White Chickpea is known as Kabuli Chana or Chole in Hindi. Keralites refer to it as Valiya Kadala/ Velutha Kadala and other names. Chickpea is used in almost every Indian household to make one dish or the other.
Chana Masala Curry (Velutha Kadala Curry) is well known in Kerala. People have it with Chappathis, Rice, Puttu, Uppumavu and so on.
Here is the recipe for making a spicy Chana Masala with gravy.
- Kabuli Chana/ White Chickpeas (soaked overnight in water) – 1 and 1/2 cups
- Garlic Cloves (chopped) – 2
- Onion (sliced) – 1 large
- Tomato (sliced) – 1 large
- Green Chillies (slit) -2
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger Paste -1 tsp
- Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Meat Masala/ Chicken Masala Powder – 1 tbsp
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cilantro – A few
- Salt – As required
- Water – As required
- Soak the Chickpeas overnight or for at least 4 hours. Wash the chickpeas and drain the water.
- Pressure cook the chickpeas with salt, a pinch of turmeric and 2 garlic cloves for around 20 minutes. Add enough water so as to cover the chickpeas.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add sliced onions and saute till the onions are translucent.
- Add slit green chillies, chopped tomatoes and curry leaves and saute till the tomatoes are cooked well.
- Next add 1 tsp ginger paste and 1 tsp garlic paste and saute for a minute.
- Add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp chilly powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tbsp meat masala powder and stir fry for two minutes.
- Add the pressure cooked kabuli chana along with the leftover water from the cooker. Add more water (around 1/4 cup) if required to make enough gravy.
- Sprinkle some cilantro leaves and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low flame for another 10-15 minutes, till the gravy is thick and finely coated on the chickpeas.
- Serve along with rice or chappathis.