The very thought of Jackfruit makes me nostalgic. Jackfruit (Chakka) is an integral part of Kerala cuisine for the simple reason that it grows abundantly in tropical lowlands. Who can forget the sweet, fleshy chakka payam or the savory Chakka Puzhukku made with tender Jackfruit or the yummy Kumbilappams.
Jackfruit Seeds (Chakkakuru) are used for making tasty side dishes in Kerala. My mom and mother-in-law both make Chakkakuru Maanga during Jackfruit Season. When my MIL visted us, we were happy to find Jackfruit available in the Farmers’ Market. We ate the sweet and fleshy jackfruit and refrigerated the seeds for making a few tasty side dishes.
Here is the recipe for a yummy Stir Fry using Jackfruit Seeds. This is the traditional recipe for Chakkakuru Pattichathu. Unlike the recipes for other vegetables, Coriander and Black Pepper powders are used while making Jackfruit seeds. No wonder it tastes so good!
- Chakkakuru (Jackfruit seeds) – 3 cups approximately (separated from a small jackfruit)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Crushed Garlic – 2 cloves
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – A small sprig
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 1/4 cup approx
- Salt – to taste
- Peel the outer white skin completely from the jackfruit seeds. Then, peel as much as brown skin you can from the seeds. You may retain a bit of the brown skin since it’s high in fibre.
- Cut the seeds into halves. Wash and drain the seeds.
- Cover and cook the jackfruit seeds in very little water (around 1/4 cup) along with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and salt to taste. Cook on medium-low heat until the seeds are tender. The seeds should retain their shape. Keep an eye so that it doesn’t become mushy. Remove from heat and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Throw in the curry leaves and crushed garlic. Stir fry quickly for a minute.
- Add the cooked jackfruit seeds to the pan. Stir fry gently for 5 minutes.
- Add black pepper powder and coriander powder. Saute for 5 more minutes until the mixture is dry.