Cauliflower & Potatoes make a lovely pair. The popular North Indian dish Aloo Gobi is a favorite among many people. Here is my recipe for a semi-dry Cauliflower & Potato Masala which goes well with Rice & Rotis.
- Cauliflower florets – separated from 1 medium sized cauliflower
- Peeled & Diced Potatoes – 2 medium ones
- Diced Onions – 1 medium
- Chopped Tomatoes – 1 medium (optional)
- Slit Green Chilies – 2 (Alter according to your spice tolerance)
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) – A few
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 + 1/2 tsp
- Chicken Masala Powder – 2 tbsp (optional – I used Eastern brand)
- Chilly Powder – 1 tsp (Alter according to your spice tolerance)
- Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
- Home Made Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 to 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder (Jeera) – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Water – as needed
- Clean the cauliflower florets by soaking it in warm water mixed with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder for around 5 minutes. Wash and drain the florets and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non stick pan and saute onions until translucent.
- Throw in the curry leaves and slit green chillies. Saute for a few more minutes.
- If using tomatoes, add the chopped tomatoes and saute until the tomatoes are cooked.
- Add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, 2 tbsp chicken masala powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp chilly powder and 1 tbsp coriander powder. Saute for 2 minutes on low heat.
- Add the diced potatoes along with salt to taste and stir fry for a few minutes until lightly browned. Cover and cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes until the potatoes are slightly tender.
- Next, add the cauliflower florets and cilantro leaves. Stir fry for a minute.
- Add 1/2 cup of water to the pan and mix everything. Cover and cook on medium heat for around 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- When the cauliflower and potato pieces are cooked, open the pan and simmer for a few more minutes so that the masala gets coated on the vegetables.