Cauliflower is a versatile vegetable and you can make so many good dishes like Gobi Manchurian, Aloo Gobi, Chilly Gobi, Cauliflower Kurma, Cauliflower Stir Fry and so on.
Our friends were coming for lunch on a Sunday and I had a Cauliflower in my refrigerator. I had already tried Chilly Gobi and Cauliflower Tomato Stir Fry. I wanted to try something new with Cauliflower. That’s when i thought of making a mixed thoran (coconut stir fry dish) with Cauliflower, Carrots and Potatoes. I was surprised how adding coconut to the dish could bring out such wonderful taste and aroma The dish was transformed entirely.
Here is the recipe for spicy Cauliflower Potato Carrot Thoran. Hope you like it
- Cauliflower florets – separated from 1 Big Cauliflower
- Carrots (diced into medium cubes) – 2 big
- Potatoes (diced into medium cubes) – 1 big
- Sliced Onions – 1 medium
- Chopped Tomatoes – 1 medium
- Slit Green Chillies – 2 medium
- Finely Chopped Garlic – 1 tsp
- Grated Ginger – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Chicken or Meat Masala Powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Water – as required
- Grated Coconut – 1
- Cashew nuts – 3 (optional)
- Salt – a pinch
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Wash and clean the cauliflower florets and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add onions, curry leaves, green chillies, grated ginger and garlic and saute till the onions are translucent.
- Next, add tomatoes and saute until soft and cooked.
- Add 1 tsp garam masala powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chilly powder, 2 tsp meat masala powder and saute for a minute.
- Now, add the cauliflower florets, potatoes and carrots along with required amount of salt and mix well so that the vegetables are coated with the masala.
- Add 1/4 cup water to the pan and mix well. Cover and cook for around 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, grind coconut, cashews, salt and a pinch of turmeric to form a coarse paste.
- Add the coconut paste to the vegetables and mix well.
- Allow the vegetables to cook in the coconut paste until all water has evaporated.
- Serve with Rice or Rotis.