Here is the recipe for making a simple Cauliflower Gravy using cauliflower and tomato puree. This spicy and tomatoey curry goes well with both Rice and Rotis.
- Cauliflower florets – separated from 1 medium sized cauliflower
- Onion (sliced) – 1 large
- Tomato (sliced) – 1small
- Tomato Puree – 1 cup
- Green Chillies (slit) – 2
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger Paste -1 tsp
- Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Meat Masala/ Chicken Masala Powder – 1 tbsp
- Red chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – As required
- Water – As required
- Clean the cauliflower florets by soaking it in warm water mixed with a pinch of turmeric for around 10 minutes. Wash and drain the florets and keep the it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add sliced onions, slit green chillies and curry leaves and saute till the onions are translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes are cooked well.
- Next add 1 tsp ginger paste and 1 tsp garlic paste and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp chilly powder, 1 tbsp coriander powder, 1 tbsp chicken/meat masala powder and stir fry for two minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and cauliflower florets along with some salt and combine everything together.
- Cover and cook for around 5 minutes. Then add around 1/2-1 cup of water to make enough gravy.
- Cover and cook for another 15 minutes stirring occasionally or until the cauliflower is cooked and the gravy is thick.
- Serve along with rice or chappathis.