Years ago, when I first tasted this lovely combo of Cabbage and Bengal Gram Dal/Chana Dal/Split Chickpeas from our school canteen, I was totally fascinated with it. This was a new Upperi (side dish) for me. It was never made by my mom. Years later, here I am with the recipe for making a wonderful Side Dish with Cabbage and Bengal Gram Dal (Kadala Parippu). This Cabbage Kadala Parippu Upperi reminds me of the good old school days when I used to have lunch at the school Canteen with my friend Devi.
- Grated Cabbage – Half of one medium sized cabbage
- Chana Dal (Kadala Parippu) – 1/2 cup
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup (optional)
- Diced Onions – 1 medium
- Diced Green Chillies – 3 or 4
- Finely minced ginger – 1 tsp
- Finely minced garlic – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp + 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin/Jeera Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Soak Chana dal for around 2 hours.
- Pressure cook chana dal with salt and a pinch of turmeric on medium heat for around 2-3 whistles. The dal should not get overcooked. It should retain it’s shape and yet be soft.
- Once cooled, drain the cooked chana dal and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add finely diced onions and saute until translucent.
- Add curry leaves, green chillies, ginger and garlic to the pan. Saute for a few minutes.
- Reduce heat and add turmeric powder, cumin powder and red chilly powder.
- Add the chopped cabbage along with salt and mix everything well.
- You can add grated coconut at this stage for enhanced taste. (optional)
- Cover and cook on medium low heat for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid, and add the cooked chana dal. Mix well and cook for another 5 minutes till all water has evaporated and the cabbage is completely dry.