When I serve Meat or Fish as a main dish, I often make a simple salad as a side. Those kind of days are few since I tend to stick to Indian food for Lunch and Dinner. Indian food is usually high in carbs and I often end-up feeling guilty if I have too much rice with all the yummy curries. So once in a while, I tend to make my meal high in protein and low in carbs. A few days ago, a friend shared the recipe for Cabbage & Ramen Noodle Salad and it sure sounded delicious. I didn’t have Ramen Noodles and decided to instead try out a simple Sweet & Tangy Cabbage Salad.
Okay, I am going to tell you something. I like Cabbage but I don’t like Coleslaw! I somehow dislike all the Mayo on it. It is often way too creamy and sweet for my taste buds. This Cabbage & Raisin Salad has a nice crunch and the sweet-sour flavors are well-balanced. I managed to eat a huge bowl of this yummy Cabbage Salad along with Crunchy Battered Fish pictured above. This salad is gluten-free as ramen noodles are not used.
- Shredded Cabbage – 1/2 head of 1 green Cabbage
- Raisins – 1/4 cup
- Black Sesame Seeds – 1 tsp
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 1 to 1.5 tbsp
- Honey – 1 tbsp (Alter according to desired sweetness)
- Garlic Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Olive/Coconut Oil – 1 tbsp
- Wash the Cabbage and shred it into strips.
- Toast the sesame seeds on low heat for a few minutes, stirring continuously.
- Combine the cabbage, raisins and toasted sesame seeds in a bowl.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together apple cider vinegar, honey, garlic powder, oil and salt in a bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss everything.
- Allow the salad to sit in the refrigerator for a 15-20 minutes so that the flavors are absorbed by the cabbage.
- Leftovers may not taste good as cabbage tends to let out water as it sits.