I have started using Brown Rice because of its health benefits. Brown Rice is unmilled or partly milled rice and is a natural whole grain. Brown Rice is chewier than White Rice but when prepared with spices or broth, it tastes good. White rice loses most of its nutritional content when it gets processed whereas Brown Rice is more nutritious since the bran layer is retained. Here is a simple recipe for a Pulav using Brown Rice and Vegetables.
- Brown Rice – 2 cups
- Diced Onions – 1 small
- Diced Tomatoes – 1 small
- Diced Carrots – 1/2 cup
- Diced Bell Peppers – 1/2 cup
- Finely Chopped Cilantro (Malli Ella) – A few
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp (Alter according to your spice tolerance)
- Garlic Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Water – as needed
- Cook the brown rice in salted water according to the instructions on the packet. To reduce the cooking time, you can soak the brown rice in water for 20-30 minutes before cooking.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non stick pan and saute onions until translucent.
- Add tomatoes along with salt and continue sauteing until cooked.
- Throw in the carrots and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and cilantro leaves. Continue sauteing until the vegetables are cooked but crispy.
- Reduce heat and add turmeric powder, chilly powder and garlic powder. Stir fry for a minute.
- Add the cooked brown rice and toss everything together and remove from stove top. Sprinkle lemon juice for added flavor.