Spaghetti is a long thin pasta of Italian origin. It is made out of semolina mostly and looks like noodles. Spaghetti is cooked by boiling the pasta in water along with salt and olive oil. Spaghetti is usually served with tomato sauce, which may contain various herbs (oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme etc.), olive oil, meat, or vegetables. Grated hard cheeses, such as Pecorino Romano, Parmesan, and Asiago cheese, are often added.
I made a sauce for the spaghetti using Sun Dried Tomatoes, tomato paste and few herbs. I had some fully cooked sausage patties which I fried and sliced into bits. You can use Chicken, Beef or Pork Sausage Patties for this recipe.
Here is my recipe for a spicy Sun Dried Tomatoes and Sausage Spaghetti.
- Spaghetti – 1 lb packet (I used Barilla Spaghetti)
- Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
- Finely Chopped Onions – 1 medium
- Finely chopped garlic – 1 tbsp
- Italian herb seasoning – 2 tbsp (The ingredients are Marjoram, Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, Oregano, Basil)
- Black Pepper powder – 1 tbsp
- Cooked Sausage Patties – 2 (Beef/Chicken/Pork)
- Salt- to taste
- Water – as needed
For the Pasta Sauce
- Sun Dried Tomatoes – 5 or 6 pieces
- Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
- Diced Garlic Cloves – 3
- Tomato Paste/Crushed Canned Tomatoes – 1 cup
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Cook the spaghetti in boiling water according to the instructions on the packet. Add salt and 1/2 tsp olive oil while cooking spaghetti.
- Drain water from the spaghetti and keep aside.
- Blend sun dried tomatoes and other ingredients to form a nice thick paste.
- Fry the sausage patties according to the instructions on the packet and crumble into bite sized pieces.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan and saute onions and garlic until the onions become soft.
- Add Italian seasoning, pepper powder and sausage crumbles and saute for 5-7 minutes until the sausage pieces become a nice brown color.
- Pour the blended pasta sauce into the pan and cook for another 5 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Add the cooked spaghetti and toss everything nicely for a few minutes. Remove from stove top.