I had been wanting to try American Baked Casseroles for a long time. I decided to start with a simple casserole made with Potatoes and Milk. I found this recipe while glancing through a Library Book and decided to adapt it with whatever ingredients I had on hand. I used carrots and ham along with potatoes and instead of bread crumbs, I used gluten-free Rice Cereal for the topping. The whole house smelled so wonderful while the casserole was in the oven. We enjoyed this wonderful Potato and Carrot Casserole for dinner and thought it tasted simple and satisfying.
Only after making did I realize that the quantity was just right to satisfy our appetites. Next time, I will try using more layers of potatoes. This time my 2 quart pan was only half full.
Serves: 2 to 3
- Potatoes – 4 Medium
- Carrots – 3 large
- Diced Ham – 1/2 cup (fully cooked)
- Milk – 1 and 1/4 cup
- Onion Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cayenne Powder or Red Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dried parsley Flakes – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Chex Rice Cereal – 1 cup
- Butter – 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp and more for greasing
- Peel the potato and slice it into discs of 1/4″ thickness or smaller.
- Peel the carrot and dice it into discs.
- Heat 2 tbsp butter and 1 cup milk on low heat until the butter melts.
- Remove from heat and whisk the milk-butter mixture with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley flakes and paprika powder.
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F. Grease a 9″ X 4″ (2 qt) oven-safe dish with butter.
- Spread half of the potatoes in a single layer at the bottom of the dish.
- Place the carrots and diced ham on top of the potatoes.
- Top with the remaining potatoes. Pour the milk mixture into the pan making sure that the potatoes are covered.
- Crush the rice cereal and combine it with 1 tbsp melted butter. Sprinkle it on top of the casserole.
- Cover and bake the casserole for around 30 minutes. Uncover and cook for 10 more minutes or until the milk has been absorbed by the potatoes and the top is set.
- The rice cereal topping is optional but it really enhances the taste of the casserole.
- You can also use bread crumbs instead of Chex cereal.
- If you like Cheese, you can sprinkle any shredded Cheese like Cheddar or Parmesan on top of the casserole before baking.