Before my India Trip, I wanted to cut down a few pounds. That’s when I started having more of baked veggies and meat.
I tried baking chicken with vegetables using Indian spices and it came out well. I didn’t have to use a single drop of oil. The baked chicken had some gravy and it was very tasty with a wonderful aroma. We had it with rice and it didn’t really taste different from the normal chicken curry which we make at home. The veggies were tender and tasted great along with the chicken.
Here is the recipe for Baked Chicken which uses no oil.
- Chicken Breasts (cut into bite sized pieces) – 1 lb
- Carrots (sliced into 1 inch pieces) – 2
- Potatoes (sliced into 1 inch pieces) – 1 big
- Chopped Tomatoes – 1 small
- Sliced Onions – 1 medium
For marinating the chicken
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tsp
- Tandoori Chicken Masala – 1 tbsp (I have used Sakthi Tandoori Chicken Masala)
- Chicken Masala Powder – 1 tbsp (I use store bought Eastern or Nirapara brands)
- Homemade Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Yogurt – 1 tbsp
- Chilly Powder – 1 tsp (Alter according to your Spice Tolerance)
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Tomato Sauce – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Make a paste using all the ingredients for marinade.
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces and marinate it with the paste. Keep it in the fridge for atleast 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Spread chicken and vegetables evenly on a baking pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40-45 minutes flipping the chicken after 20 minutes.
- The chicken should be ready after 40 minutes and will have some gravy. If the chicken is not cooked, keep it for another 10 minutes. You can use this tasty gravy with Rice.
- If you wish to grill the chicken till it becomes dry and brown, you can bake it uncovered for another 20 minutes.
- You can use any store bought chicken Masala Powder or you can prepare it at home. Brands like Eastern, Saras, Melam, Priyom, Niraprara etc. are good. Click here for Home Made Chicken Masala Powder ingredients.