Well, I have tried Chilli Chicken and Chilly Cauliflower/Gobi ample number of times but this time it’s Chilly Shrimp. As I had mentioned in my earlier post, I started making Spicy battered shrimps but before I could make the gravy for Chilly Shrimps, we finished half of the deep fried battered shrimps 🙂
With the remaining half, I continued making Chilly Shrimps.
Here is my recipe for Spicy Chilly Shrimps. This recipe has 2 parts:-
- The first part is making spicy deep fried battered shrimps.
- The second part involves making a Spicy Chilly Gravy and mixing the deep fired shrimps.
- Onions (diced) – 1
- Bell Pepper (diced) – 1 medium
- Chopped Spring Onions – 3
- Finely diced Ginger – 2 tbsp
- Finely chopped Garlic – 2 tbsp
- Soy Sauce – 2 tbsp
- Tomato Sauce/Ketchup – 3tbsp
- Hot and Sweet Chilly Sauce – 2 tbsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- MSG/Ajinomoto – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- The first part of the recipe involves preparing a spicy batter, dipping the shrimps in the batter and deep frying it. You can view the recipe for making Fried Shrimps here. Allow the fried shrimps to cool completely.
- Heat oil in another pan and saute the onions, ginger and garlic till the onions become translucent.
- Next add capsicum pieces and saute for a few minutes till it’s almost cooked.
- Add the spring onions and saute for 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1 tsp chilly powder, 3 tbsp tomato sauce, 2 tbsp hot and sweet red chilly sauce, 2 tbsp soya sauce and salt.
- Add the fried shrimp and mix well so that the gravy is coated on the shrimp.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp pepper powder and 1/2 tsp ajinomoto (optional).
- Cover and steam for 5 minutes.
- Serve as starters or as side dish along with Fried Rice/ Noodles.