My sister-in-law saw a recipe for Mambazha Pradhaman on a Cookery Show and she shared it with me. I was excited to try this totally new recipe for Onam. Pradhaman is a dessert made with Jaggery and Coconut Milk. There are different types of Pradhaman like Ada Pradhaman, Parippu Pradhaman, Chakka Pradhaman and so on. When Mangoes are in season, it is so good to try this delicious Mambazha Pradahaman. Here is another Onam Special Recipe for you. Enjoy!!!
You will have a tough time resisting yourself while the Pradhaman gets prepared. I had to lick my spoon in between!
- Sweet Ripe Mangoes – 3 big
- Mango pulp – 2 cups (I used Canned Mango Pulp)
- Powdered Jaggery – 3 or 4 big cubes (Alter according to your desired sweetness)
- Dried ginger powder (Chukku podi) – 1/4 tsp
- Cardamom powder (Elakka Podi) – 3/4 to 1 tsp
- Thin Coconut milk – Around 2 cups
- Thick Coconut Milk – 1/2 cup
- Cashews - 15
- Raisins - A handful
- Ghee – 3 to 4 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Peel the mangoes and dice it into small pieces.
- Boil the jaggery in 1 cup of water to make a thick syrup.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a heavy bottomed pan and saute the mango pieces until it changes color.
- Mash the mango pieces as it gets cooked. Keep on stirring so that it doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Slowly add the mango pulp to the pan and continue sauteing for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the jaggery syrup to the pan and keep on stirring until it thickens. This will take some time until it reaches a thick consistency (Varattiya Paruvam). So please be patient at this stage.
- Reduce heat and add thin coconut milk to the pan, stirring continuously.
- Now add the dried ginger powder and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Simmer for 5-7 minutes and then add thick coconut milk. Simmer for a few more minutes and remove from stove top. Do not allow it to boil.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan and fry the raisins and cashews for a few minutes. Pour it over the pradhaman. Serve this yummy mango pradhaman warm or chilled. This payasam tends to thicken over time.
- Please use real good variety of Mangoes like Alphonso.
- You can also fry Coconut bits and add it to the Pradhaman for garnishing.
- You can loosen the consistency of the Pradhaman by adding 1 more cup of Thin Coconut Milk.