I recently found Brown Basmathi Rice at a health food store and I have become a fan of it. Brown Rice is more healthy since it’s a whole grain and has a lower Glycemic Index. If you haven’t tried Brown Rice, start using it in salads and stir-frys and you will get accustomed to its taste. I like any kind of Pulav or Fried Rice made using Brown Rice.
Here is the recipe for a Chinese Style Fried Rice using Brown Rice. You can use any type of Brown Rice preferably Brown Basmathi Rice.
- Brown Rice – 2 cups
- Diced Spring Onions – 1 small bunch (Separated into whites and greens)
- Diced Carrots – 1/2 cup
- Finely Chopped Beans – 1/2 cup
- Diced Broccoli Florets – 1/2 cup
- Chilly Garlic Sauce – 1 tsp (Alter according to your spice tolerance)
- Soy Sauce – 2 tbsp
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Water – as needed
- Cook the brown rice in salted water according to the instructions on the packet. To reduce the cooking time, you can soak the brown rice in water for 20-30 minutes before cooking. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non stick pan or wok and saute the spring onion whites until translucent.
- Throw in the beans and stir fry for a 2-3 minutes on medium high heat.
- Next, add the carrots and continue sauteing for a few minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets along with salt to taste. Stir fry until the vegetables are cooked but crispy.
- Reduce heat and add chilly garlic sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, black pepper powder and 1 tsp sugar.
- Add the cooked brown rice and toss everything together. Garnish with spring onion greens and remove from stove top.