Zucchini or Courgette is a nice yellow/green vegetable belonging to the Squash family. It is commonly used in America & Europe. It looks similar to Cucumber but unlike Cucumber, it is often cooked lightly before serving. Zucchini is usually cooked along with the skin. It is low in calories and is very healthy.
I have never seen Zucchini in India. I started experimenting with this new vegetable after coming to US. Here is the recipe for making a nice Chutney (Creamy dip) with Zucchini. This Chutney is spicy and goes well with Dosa. Zucchini Chutney is healthy and tasty. Kids will definitely love this creamy,green dip.
- Diced Zucchini – 1 big (Do not peel the skin)
- Diced Onions – 1 medium
- Green Chillies – 3 or 4 (Adjust according to your spice tolerance)
- Curry Leaves – A few
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Crushed Garlic – 2 small cloves
- Roughly chopped Ginger – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Water – as needed
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp (optional)
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok or kadai. Add onions, green chillies and curry leaves. Saute till the onions are translucent.
- Throw in the garlic and ginger pieces and saute for a few minutes on medium heat.
- Reduce heat and stir in 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp red chilly powder.
- Add the diced zucchini along with salt to taste and saute for a few minutes. Cover and cook on medium low heat for around 5 minutes until the zucchini pieces are soft and cooked.
- Stir fry for a few more minutes and remove from stove top.
- Allow it to cool and then grind everything into a fine paste adding very little water.
- Finally, you may sprinkle lemon juice for an extra kick.
- You can season Zucchini Chutney with Mustard Seeds, Curry leaves and shallots if required.