Here is a very simple yet tasty recipe for Dried Prawns (Unakka Chemmeen) Stir Fry. These Spicy Fried Prawns go well with Rice.
- Dried Shrimp or Prawns (Unnakka Chemmeen) – 1/2 cup
- Thinly Sliced Red Onions – 1 big
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Fish masala Powder – 1 tbsp ( I used store bought Eastern Fish Masala brand)
- Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Remove the head and tail from the dried prawns/shrimps, if it has not been removed.
- Wash the dried prawns thoroughly and drain the water.
- Prepare a marinade using the above ingredients and apply it on the dried prawns. Keep it aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a non stick pan and saute onions until translucent.
- Add curry leaves and continue sauteing until the onions begin to lightly brown.
- Reduce heat and add fish masala powder and chilly powder. Stir fry for a minute.
- Add the marinated dried prawns and mix everything well. Add salt only if needed as the dried prawns are usually salted.
- Stir fry on medium low heat for 5-7 minutes until the masala is nicely coated on the dried prawns.
- Serve this Spicy Fried Prawns with Rice.