Spinach/Cheera – the healthy, nutritious, green leaf is a part of almost every cuisine. You can try out so many dishes with Spinach starting from Simple Spinach Saute, Spinach Thoran to the famous Dal Palak (Cheera Parippu) Curry.
Spinach Rice or Keerai Sadham is a Variety Rice Dish made by Tamilians. I once decided to try this Rice and Spinach combination in my own way. Here is the recipe for a tasty and healthy dish. It’s really easy to make.
- Cleaned and Chopped Spinach – 4 cups
- Cooked Rice – 2 cups
- Thinly Sliced Onions – 1 medium
- Chopped Garlic Cloves – 4 or 5
- Slit Green Chillies – 2
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Jeera/Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sambar Powder – 1 to 2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Oil/Butter – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cook 2 cups of rice and keep aside. Make sure it is not overcooked.
- Heat oil/butter in a wok and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add onions, green chillies, garlic and saute till the onions begin to brown.
- Add the cleaned and chopped spinach along with some salt and saute till the spinach becomes tender and all the water has evaporated.
- Next, add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp Sambar Powder, 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder and 1/2 tsp Chilly Powder and saute for 2 minutes. Add more salt if required.
- Reduce heat and stir in rice to the above spinach mixture, stirring carefully.
- Serve along with Raitha and Pappad.