This is one of the easiest curries you can make and is tasty too. Onion Tomato Curry can be served with Chappathi, Roti, Puttu, Dosa or even Rice. If you run out of vegetables, then you can go for this curry as Onions and Tomatoes are readily found in any Chef’s kitchen.
- Sliced Onions – 1 large
- Chopped Tomatoes – 2 medium ripe juicy ones
- Curry Leaves – A few
- Cilantro – A handful (optional)
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Hot and Sweet Tomato Sauce – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok or kadai.
- Add onions and saute till golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and curry leaves and stir for a few mintues until the tomatoes are soft and cooked.
- Mash the tomatoes well and stir in 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chilly powder and some salt.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and bring it to a boil on medium flame.
- If you like a twist to your curry, you can stir in 1 tbsp of hot and sweet Tomato Sauce for a tangy flavour (which I usually do).
- Garnish with Cilantro leaves.