Variety is the Spice of Life!
So if you like Chutney or Chammanthi, you can try out this new and slightly different Chutney Recipe made using Pearl Onions. Pearl Onion Coconut Chutney goes well along with Dosa and Idli. You can also use Shallots instead of Pearl Onions but pearl onions are preferred since they gave a mild and sweet taste.
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Pearl Onions/ Shallots/ Kunjulli (Chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Slit Green Chillies – 3
- Tamarind Paste- 1/2 tsp
- Urad Dal (Uzhunnu Parippu) – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) – A few
- Water – As required
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Grind the grated coconut, chopped pearl onions, tamarind paste and slit green chillies along with a pinch of salt and little water to form a paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds.
- Add Urad dal (Uzhunnu Parippu) and stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add curry leaves and Cilantro and saute for a minute.
- Add the coconut paste to the pan and stir slowly for a few minutes and remove from stove top. Do not boil.
- This can be served hot with Dosas and Idly.
- Pearl Onions are small white or golden colored onions which give a sweet flavor.
- You can add more green chillies to make the chutney more hot.