Breakfast happens to be the most difficult meal for me! I have a difficult time coming to terms with what I will be preparing for Breakfast. I don’t like the Boxed Cereals and Oatmeal. I also don’t want to go high on carbs with traditional Kerala breakfast items like Puttu and Appam. I consider those to be occasional treats. I have been trying to incorporate more veggies and protein into Breakfast so that we stay full for a couple of hours.
I had seen plenty of recipes for Zucchini Fritters or Latkes and wanted to try it for breakfast. Latkes are fried pancakes usually made with potato, flour and eggs. Zucchini can be made into Latkes using binding agents like flour and eggs. I didn’t want to use flour and these ended up being more like Mini Zucchini Omelettes. I like that I can make these in ten minutes and are not high in carbs. If you are looking for a healthy way to start your day, try these mini omelets. The above picture was taking on a cloudy day and hence, it looks so dull! This is perfect for those on a Paleo or Low Carb diet.
I need to try making these into crispy Fritters using Flour. I am sure it would taste awesome like Hashbrowns.
Yield: 4 Mini Omelettes
- Zucchini – 1 large
- Egg – 1
- Dessicated Coconut – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – 1/8 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1/8 tsp
- Butter/Cooking Spray – to coat the pan
- Wash the zucchini and grate it. You don’t have to peel the zucchini.
- Beat egg with salt and pepper. Add it to the zucchini.
- Throw in the dessicated coconut and red chilly powder.
- Mix everything with a spoon. The mixture will be slightly watery.
- Heat a tava, skillet or griddle. Melt some butter or you can use cooking spray.
- Drop a big spoonful of the zucchini mixture onto the pan. Flatten it out with the back of the spoon as much as you can.
- Allow it to cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Flip and cook the other side for 2 more minutes.
- Remove the omelette from the skillet and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve hot with ketchup or sour cream.
- Zucchini tends to let out water. You can try squeezing out water from the grated zucchini before mixing it with the other ingredients. I have prepared these in both ways and didn’t notice much of a difference.
- It’s good to keep these omelets small in size to prevent it form breaking while flipping.
- If you don’t have zucchini, try using carrots or sweet potatoes.