Do you often want to escape at the sight of vegetables? Well at least, as a kid, I was like that. I guess, a lot of kids grow up with a deep hatred towards vegetables. I remember my Mom trying all her skills to make us eat veggies daily. Well, it’s not only kids who run away at the sight of vegetables; many grownups avoid fresh vegetables simply because they often lack taste. Somehow, I am not fond of raw vegetables. So, I end up cooking almost all vegetables.
I was trying to finish a few vegetables lying in my fridge. I wanted to make something nice and decided on Pan Fried Vegetable Cutlets. These vegetable cutlets are lot more healthier than the deep fried ones and they have a wonderful taste. You can make these Healthy Vegetable Cutlets as a snack for your kids and you can watch them eat all their veggies.
You can also shape the vegetables into balls like the ones shown below and your kids will devour these yummy Vegetable balls. No more Meat Balls. Hurray! You can also shape them into patties and have it as a burger.
These healthy veg cutlets make an excellent appetizer. These cutlets won’t be as crisp as the Deep Fried cutlets but they still taste good.
- Finely Diced Onions – 1 medium
- Mixed Vegetables - 1 to 1.5 cups approx (I used 2 carrots, 1 small potato and 1/4 cup of Green Peas)
- Minced Green Chillies – 2 (Avoid these, if making for kids)
- Bread Crumbs – 3 or 4 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cooking Spray
- Salt – to taste
- Put all the veggies in a Food Processor or Chopper and mince it into fine pieces. Make sure, not to over do it or else you will get a Puree of Vegetables.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and saute onions until translucent.
- Add the minced veggies and saute for a few minutes.
- Add turmeric, chilly powder and salt. Mix everything well.
- Cover and cook on medium low heat for 4-5 minutes until the veggies are cooked nicely.
- Allow it to cool completely. Add bread crumbs to the cooked vegetables and start kneading to form a soft dough which will form shape.
- Using your palms, make any desired shape of cutlets or you can make small balls.
- Heat a non stick frying pan and spray some cooking oil.
- Fry the cutlets until lightly browned on both sides.