I had a mini heart-attack when I checked the date of the last post on my beloved website. Yes, it’s been more than 3 months since I posted a new recipe. Let me apologize to my dear readers. The last few months kept me on my toes. A month long Kerala vacation, a wedding in the family, an international trip and of course lack of regular internet access were all reasons for my absence. Well, I am hoping to be more regular in 2013 with lots of good food and recipes.
Let me start with a super simple Fruit and Vegetable Salad with a touch of Indian spices. Apples, Cucumbers, Carrots, Mini Sweet Peppers, Raisins and a handful of roasted nuts, spiced with Indian Chaat Masala and Dried Mango Powder make this wonderful salad. Chaat Masala is a sweet and sour spice mix used in Indian Cuisine. When Chaat Masala is added to fruits, it is known as Fruit Chaat and is a popular street food.
I recently happened to notice mini sweet peppers in the market and I have become a fan of it. These colorful, sweet peppers are perfect for a snack. The sweetness of mini peppers, apples and raisins gives this salad a twist. You can serve this Fruit and Vegetable Chaat or Salad as an appetizer or it is fit enough to be the main meal on your table when you aren’t in the mood for heavy food.
- Mini Cucumbers (peeled and diced) – 2 or 3
- Sweet Red Apple (peeled and diced) – 1 big
- Carrot (peeled and diced) – 1 large
- Dry Roasted Peanuts – a handful
- Raisins – 1/4 cup
- Diced Tomato – 1 (use firm ones)
- Diced Mini Sweet Peppers – 6
- Chaat Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Amchur (Dried Mango) Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Onion Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp approx
- Sugar – 1 tsp (optional)
- Peel the fruits and vegetables. Dice it into small cubes.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Sprinkle lemon juice to taste. Toss and set aside.
- Keep the salad refrigerated until ready to serve.
- You can add fruits like orange, strawberry and pear to this salad.
- For a variation, try adding squeezed orange juice instead of lemon juice.