Fish/Meen Thoran is pretty famous in Kerala. It is made with Fish, Grated Coconut and Kudampuli (Gambooge). I had some Tilapia fillets in the freezer and thought of making a thoran. Then, I changed my mind and thought of trying a dish without coconut. I was too lazy to defrost the grated coconut. I skipped the gambooge and instead, added tomatoes. So, here is my recipe for Meen Ularthiyathu or Fish Stir Fry. The name sounds funny but this dish tastes excellent. 🙂 It can be made quickly and goes well with rice.
- Tilapia Fillets – 2 large
- Tomato (chopped) – 1 large
- Onion (diced) – 1 large
- Ginger (finely minced) – 1 tbsp
- Crushed Garlic (finely minced) – 2 small cloves
- Green Chillies – 3 nos.
- Curry leaves – A sprig
- Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp (Alter according to your Spice Tolerance)
- Fish Masala Powder – 1 tbsp (I used Eastern Fish Masala powder)
- Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
For Marinating the Fish
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp (Alter according to your Spice Tolerance)
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
- Wash the Tilapia fillets and soak it in water along with 1 tbsp lemon juice. Rinse and drain after 5 minutes.
- Marinate the fillets with all the above ingredients and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Microwave the fillets for 4-5 minutes. Alternatively, you can lightly cook it in a non stick skillet.
- Shred the fish with a fork and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add onions and saute till translucent.
- Add ginger, garlic, slit green chillies and curry leaves and saute for a few minutes.
- Add tomatoes along with salt to taste and cook until soft and pulpy.
- Reduce heat and add 1/2 tsp chilly powder, 1 tbsp fish masala powder, 1/2 tsp black pepper powder and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the shredded tilapia pieces and mix everything well.
- Cover the pan and cook on medium low heat for 5-7 minutes till it is completely cooked and dry.
- Serve this yummy Fish Stir-Fry with Rice.