Malanga or Yautia is closely related to Taro (Dasheen). Taro is known as Chembu in Malayalam and Arbi/Arvi in Hindi. Malanga looks and tastes exactly like Taro. It can be cooked like Taro in many different ways. Here is the recipe for a simple Stir Fried Taro/Malanga.
Serve this yummy Taro (Chembu) Fry with Rice or you can devour it as a snack.
- Taro/Malanga (Chembu) – 1/2 kg
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel Seeds (Perumjeerakam) Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Peel the skin from the taro and dice it into thin bite sized pieces.
- Wash the taro pieces thoroughly. Apply all the spice powders and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non stick pan and add the marinated taro pieces.
- Cover and cook for ten minutes on medium-low heat stirring occasionally.
- If the taro pieces start sticking to the pan, add a few teaspoons of water.
- Do a taste test and add more salt if needed. Continue cooking the taro for a few more minutes until it is crispy & golden brown outside and tender outside.