Cauliflower Rice or Cauli Rice is a low carbohydrate alternative to Rice. It is made using grated Cauliflower. Those who are on low-carb diets can try this Cauliflower Rice. Cauliflower is a versatile vegetable and it can be combined with other ingredients for a rich flavor. I used Coconut and Curry Leaves to give Cauli Rice a Kerala flavor.
We had this Cauli-Rice with Kerala Fish Curry. It reminded us of Seasoned Tapioca/Yuca. It was a filling meal without the bulk of carbohydrates. It may take some time to get adjusted to Cauli Rice but once adjusted, you will never want to go back to Starchy Carbs. Be creative and play around with different spices and ingredients until you like it. You can use Cauli-Rice for making Fried Rice, Pulav and so on.
- Fresh Cauliflower – 1 large (Serves 2-3 people)
- Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup
- Diced Onions – 1 small
- Slit Green Chillies – 2 (Alter according to your spice tolerance)
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp (Alter according to your spice tolerance)
- Garlic Powder -1/4 tsp (optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Separate the cauliflower into florets. Grate the florets coarsely using a Food Processor or Pulse it in a Blender/Grinder/Mixie. You can do this in several batches. Alternatively, you can chop it into rice size pieces.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and saute onions until translucent.
- Reduce heat and add turmeric powder and red chilly powder. Saute for a minute.
- Add the grated cauliflower along with salt to taste and saute for 5 minutes, stirring lightly. You may sprinkle some garlic powder.
- Meanwhile, grind coconut, curry leaves and green chillies to a coarse paste.
- Add the coconut paste to the cauliflower and mix gently. Saute for a few more minutes until the cauliflower is soft and has absorbed the flavors.
- Serve this Spicy Cauli-Rice with Fish Curry, Chicken Curry or any other side dish.
- Always use Fresh Cauliflower for this recipe or else it won’t taste great.
- Do not overcook the Cauliflower or else it will end up being mushy.