Cabbage Thoran is the heart of Kerala Cuisine. Any Kerala Sadhya is incomplete without Cabbage Thoran. Cabbage Thoran is a stir fry made using cabbage and coconut. You can prepare the thoran using cabbage, or a combination of cabbage and carrot, or even cabbage, carrot and capsicum.
There are so many different ways to prepare a thoran. Some use onions while others use shallots.
Some add garlic and ginger, while others like it plain.
Here is my recipe for Cabbage Thoran.
- Shredded Cabbage – Half of one medium sized cabbage
- Sliced Shallots (Kunjulli/Pearl Onions) – 1/2 cup
- Grated Coconut – 1 Cup
- Finely chopped Garlic – 4 or 5 cloves
- Grated Cumin (Jeera) – 1/4 tsp
- Slit Green Chillies – 3 or 4
- Turmeric – A pinch
- Salt – As Required
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Mix together coconut, turmeric powder, shallots, cumin, garlic and green chillies using hands or you can coarsely grind everything together.
- Combine the cabbage with some salt.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non stick pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Add the shredded cabbage and saute for 2 minutes.
- Next add the coconut mixture and combine everything together.
- Cover the pan and cook on low flame, stirring occasionally. Do not add water while cooking cabbage.
- After 6- 8 mins, the cabbage will be cooked. Remove the lid and stir fry for another 4-5 minutes so that the cabbage is crunchy and not soggy.