Capsicum is known as Pepper in US. Capsicum refers to the name of the plant. The fruit of the plant is what we use and it is known by different names. Some common names are chilly pepper, sweet pepper, paprika, red pepper, green pepper etc. Indians call the fruit as Capsicum itself. In US, it is known as Bell Pepper.
Capsicum as such doesn’t have lot of flavor but it can be used for making salads, stir frys, variety rice and so on. It can also be mixed with other vegetable dishes like Potato, Cauliflower etc.
Here is the recipe for making a Side Dish with Capsicum and Coconut. I prefer to call it as Capsicum Thoran.
- Capsicum (diced into medium cubes) – 2 big
- Sliced Onions – 1 medium
- Chopped Tomatoes – 1 medium
- Finely Chopped Garlic – 1 tsp
- Grated Ginger – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Water – as required
- Grated Coconut – 1
- Salt – a pinch
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Cumin (Jeera) – 1/4 tsp
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add onions, curry leaves, green chillies, grated ginger and garlic and saute till the onions are translucent.
- Next, add tomatoes and saute until soft and cooked.
- Add 1 tsp garam masala powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chilly powder and saute for a minute.
- Now, add the capsicum pieces along with required amount of salt and mix well.
- Add little water (around 1/4 cup) to the pan and mix well. Cover and cook for around 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, grind coconut, cumin, salt and a pinch of turmeric to form a coarse paste.
- Add the coconut paste to the cooked capsicum and mix well.
- Allow it to cook in the coconut paste for another 5 minutes until all water has evaporated.
- Serve this tasty capsicum thoran with Rice.